Saturday, 3 October 2015

Red Wine Tasting

This week in class I had the opportunity to taste red wine for the the first time to be more specific it was a Chateau Ducla Bordeaux Superieur, France.

When i first took a sip of the wine all i could think of was how bitter it tasted and nothing else, but once I got over the overwhelming first sip and started to think about the flavors that were really there, I was presently surprised. The first thing that I noticed was the sweetness of the wine, it wasn't overly sweet but sweet enough to balance out the bitterness of it. I didn't really get any salty flavors and only a bit of sourness right at the end. Going in to it i had smelt it before drinking it and it had quite a earthy aroma and tasted how i envisioned it when I smelt it. As for the appearance it was a beautiful dark red almost purple colour, When I smelled it it kind of reminded me of a damp wood smell. I really liked the taste of it and the only thing that I could really compare it to is organic grape juice witch makes a lot of sense considering it is just fermented grape juice. The mouth feel of it was pretty neat, it made my mouth feel sort of dry and a slightly numb feeling. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was very unique flavor, but for me it was the first time I had red wine so it was a unique experience.

I will defiantly be drinking more red wine in the future, I really enjoyed the intensity of the flavors. I learned that I shouldn't judge on the first taste (pun not intended) and I should try and think about the flavours  of the food and drink instead of just eating and drinking to fill my stomach.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment