Sunday, 8 November 2015

Fermentation

I've chosen to do an Indian style plain yogurt also known dhai. I started with 500 ml of whole milk, I then brought 250 ml of the milk to a boil and poured it back into the remaining cold milk. I then got about 5 ml of yogurt with live cultures and and mixed it with equal parts water and about half a gram of sugar, after stirring  the sugar water yogurt mixture I poured it into the milk and gently mixed it. I then covered it and let it ferment over night, the next morning I placed it in the fridge and it this point it was ready to consume. This is my dads recipe so all credit goes to him. I think this was a very successful attempt the texture was nice and smooth, the taste was just slightly sweet but not over powering, it smelt like every other dhai I've ever had and it was nice and white in color just as intended. I wouldn't do anything differently but I might try and add some flavor to it next time, maybe some honey or maple syrup.


Cold milk
Boiling the milk
final product with fresh strawberries and honey
Sugar water and live cultures mix

No comments:

Post a Comment