Thursday, 4 February 2016

Lamb Chops

The cut of meat I have selected is lamb chops. The reason I chose this cut is that the meat from this cut is both extremely tender and flavourful when prepared correctly.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/02/raw-meat-mono-diet-nutritionists-comment
Lambs are domesticated farm animals and are believed to be some of the earliest animals to become livestock. The terms lamb is used for sheep that are under one year of age, Sheep older than one year are commonly refereed to as muttons. 
http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/as_sheepc.html
 The lamb chops are cut from the back area refereed to as the rack, behind the shoulder but in front of the loin. The Lamb chops are often sold as a rack of about 6-8 ribs and are best when cooked whole. Lamb chops are quite pricey I looked on line for a grass fed lamb and found a farm that is selling a rack of lamb for about $53.00 per pound, this is extremely premium meat and I am sure that tastes wonderful but the usual price for a non grass fed rack would be around $26.00-$32.00 per pound. The best way to this would be a quick sear on the to lock in the juices and then to cook it to a medium rare, anything over medium doneness I believe would ruin both the texture and flavour of the meat.

Gordon Ramsay has a great lamb chop recipe that show cases the flavours and the techniques stated above.

No comments:

Post a Comment